St. John the Divine
On Lee House
Oppenheimer Bros. Store
The Oppenheimer's store was one of the first businesses in Yale.
Knowing the supplies they bought, you can picture what the miner's lives were like.
Receipts can give an idea of what the store's inventory would have been. One from in May 11, 1876 shows the purchases of William Sterling, who was a trader in Germansen creek. They comprised of mostly simple goods, including: rice, dried apples, plums, oatmeal, barley, candles, brandy, soap, lard, condensed milk, onions, matches, bacon and other items.
The Oppenheimer's brick building gave some protection against the threat of fire.
The major fires in Yale's history damaged the Oppenheimer store building repeatedly. The 1874 fire damaged at least the lock on the safe to the left. The brick warehouse, which formed the basic structure of the store, were almost the only thing left standing in the whole town block after the fire in 1881. D. W. Higgins recognized the ruins of the fireproof warehouse on returning to Yale in 1906, proving them to be a recognizable landmark of Yale's early days (T. W . Paterson. Fraser Canyon. p.74).
More of the merchants in Yale could be found in Chinatown. Learn about them and the community at the Chinatown page.
Home | Contents | Tour | People | Collection | Transportation | Just For Kids! | Team